Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Week 1: Derailed

Cave Painting

Our first week started lovely.  Anna announced the first day that she loved homeschooling and she loved history and she loved me.  She didn't throw any fits during math and I actually was able to explain it to her.  She made a cave painting.  We read several books.  I felt like I was accomplishing major feats of strength. 

Then, of course, mid-week, Noah got sick and whiny and demanded to be held.  None of us changed out of our pajamas for several days.  There was lots of snot and old "I Love Lucy" episodes and unwashed hair.  I tried to still at least make Anna do her math everyday.  By Friday, though, I succumbed to the virus myself and parked my feverishly pathetic self on the couch while my husband herded children.  Math schmath.

Virus: 1.  Ellen's Perfectly Laid-out Plans: 0.

Oh well, my plans were bound to get obliterated sooner or later, so it's probably good that it all got derailed from the get-go.  Life is going to happen.  God just wants me to try my best at this homeschool thing... He is really the one in charge anyhoo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen,

    As a former public school teacher (who also has tremendous respect for home schooling) I thought I'd let you know that this can happen in the regular classroom, too: failed science experiments, fire drills, assemblies, substitute teachers, and behavior issues are just a few things that could have derailed her progress if she were at school. Or at least derailed me when I was teaching. :) I know that's part of the benefit of having her home with you!

    Oh, and mice! Mice infesting my classroom impeded our progress, too!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but treat me (and others) as if they were standing in front of you. Be kind, or you will be deleted.