Monday, November 12, 2012

Little House In The Big Woods


It's funny reading a beloved childhood book as an adult.  As a mom.  You see things you never saw before.

We are currently reading Little House in the Big Woods (my favorite of the Little House series.)   Anna loves it, which I am thankful for.  I was kind of worried, since she is of a sensitive nature with fiction.  (She does not like it when animals are hurt, separated from their mommies and, especially, die.  Which is interesting, because she has actually handled real life pets' deaths relatively unscathed.)  I mean, the whole first chapter of the Big Woods is one animal slaughter after another.  But hey, she was fine.  Even enjoyed the pig's tail sizzling on the fire and the bladder balloon.

As a mom, though, here is what is jumping out at me: Why in the HECK didn't they just stay put in Wisconsin?!

...They had lots of food and game (they nearly starve in some of the later books, like The Long Winter)
...They had family and friends nearby (I particularly remember a feeling of isolation from Little House on the Prairie)
...They seemed pretty content and joyful (could Ma have really been that happy to be constantly dragged around America as a pioneer, alone in the house with three small children?  Wasn't she lonely?  Wasn't she tired of crop disasters?  Didn't she miss her extended family?)

As a kid, the pioneer way of life sounded exciting.  Adventure!  Covered wagons!  Scarlet Fever!  (okay, maybe not the scarlet fever.)  But as a mother, I sort of inwardly groan with I think about it.  I mean, we have moved four times in five years and I currently have a deep raw desire for roots in my life.  I want to stay put for awhile.  Be able to paint my walls whatever color I want.  Have family and friends over for a game of cards while the kids play in the backyard and catch fireflies.  Have my in-laws closer than six hours away (I am a freak who actually likes my in-laws.)  Be able to call for my mother when I am sick and need help with the kids.  Toss around the ole' pig bladder with my sister.  Modern life has sort of made most of us pioneers again... but just the isolation part, not really the adventure part. 

So, basically if it had been up to me, the Ingalls would have stayed put at the Little House in the Big Woods.  But, I suppose that would have made the Little House series a book of one.  Which would not do.  Oh well. I just feel sorry for Ma.

3 comments:

  1. Here's a link that i found a few months back - don't show the kids!
    http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2008/07/selective-omissions-or-what-laura.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Re-reading the books now, Pa just seems like a shiftless jerk. "Argh, it's too crowded here. I heard they killed off a bunch of natives west of here so there's land, let's go get some." And off they go....again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you compare our modern isolation to the actual physical isolation of 150 years ago. Actually, it pretty much blows my mind when I think about it. It seems that for our technology and progress, we aren't much further ahead in the community department. Sigh. I want that kind of community too...you know with the fireflies and the card games and all that...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but treat me (and others) as if they were standing in front of you. Be kind, or you will be deleted.