Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Expectations

Since I am still in my pre-homeschool planning phase, I have been trying to keep some of my expectations in check.  The thing is, this new homeschool gig is going to be a total "paradigm shift" for me (even though I totally hate that term.  It's so trendy Stephen Covey 1990's.  But begrudgingly, I will admit that my paradigm is about to be majorly shifted.)  I can plan and plan and plan right here and now, but the slushie of reality will hit the fan in January.  I keep making these little lists to help myself, mainly just so I have something to look back on in the future to see if we've made any progress whatsoever.  Maybe my expectations will be way off.  Maybe I will be good at some things that surprise me.  Maybe some dreaded issues won't be so bad after all.  Or maybe I will be forced to undergo another dadgum paradigm shift in a year.

Stuff I Am Excited About:
  • Laminating!
  • Lesson planning!
  • Organizing!
  • Finding learning material!
  • Teaching art!
  • Read Aloud Books!
  • Researching curriculum!
  • History!
  • Learning new stuff together!
  • Laminating some more!


Stuff I Am Kinda Neutral About:
  • The actual teaching part


Stuff I Am Dreading:
  • Science experiments
  • Glitter and paint and glue on my floors
  • Piles of laundry and dirty dishes that still need to conquered, in addition to the school stuff
  • Trying to teach with a toddler underfoot.
  • Meeting the needs of a veeeeeeeery social and active little girl.
  • Our first throwdown about Math.  It's coming.  I know it.
  • Writing coercion (she hates to write) 
  • Cabin fever
  • Teaching with PMS (pray for us all, seriously)

Stuff I Suspect Will Be A Struggle For Me:
  • Not worrying about whether we are "on track" with public school
  • Not worrying about whether she will bomb her SATs ten years from now
  • Not worrying about whether I am doing enough and she should be learning Latin and underwater basketweaving
  • Setting my expectations of myself (and my home) too high
  • Staying on task
  • Trying to find a homeschool circle of friends in which to fit my weird little self
  • The late afternoon cranky funk
  • Grocery shopping
  • Asking for help

I need to remember, if all else fails, to go laminate something.

2 comments:

  1. I am preparing to homeschool as well... starting not in the spring but next school year. We'll see... I've been doing a lot of work in the last two years to improve my parenting and relationship with my kid... and researching curriculum / methods / approaches. I am thinking I might use a Charlotte Mason approach, and somehow incorporate some Montessori, especially for math. Kid has done preschool at a Montessori and is currently in kindergarten there. (It's too far away and too expensive to continue there.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no experience homeschooling but I do work for a great company, Classical Conversations. You might want to poke around their website and see what they are about and if there is a CC Community near you. Communities meet once a week for tutoring (parent's presence required) and assignments. The students bond and form friendships and get a chance to interact. The parents get support and guidance and there is some external accountability for the kids. May or may not be a fit for you but def worth checking out.

    Whatever you do, I'll be praying for you. My babies are 34 and 25 and I was not able to homeschool them even though I recognized the failings of public school. I have dear friends who teach in the public schools but, well, you know, you've addressed the issues.

    I wish you well and will be lurking out here in the cloud, rooting for you and your precious fam!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but treat me (and others) as if they were standing in front of you. Be kind, or you will be deleted.